For this studio project, my outcome was to make a working lamp. For this I have to consider the market I am aiming for on this – of which I have chosen a modern home, and young couples/families, something that stands out and possibly a centre-piece. To do this, I researched other lamps on the market that fit the criteria and at the same time, I researched my chosen designer, who is mentioned further down this blog post.
My chosen designer for this project is Frank Gehry, who is a famous Architect famous for such buildings as the Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Dancing House in Prague (originally called Fred and Ginger) and the Loyola Law School in California. But he is not just an Architect, he has also dabbled in and out of furniture design and has made a range such as the Easy Edges range in the early 1970’s, which is made out of corrugated cardboard.
From left to right: the Wiggle Chair, which is part of the Easy edges range, made form corrugated cardboard. Two Bentwood Chairs from the Bentwood Furniture Range, made from steam-bent wood. Below: The Dancing House in Prague
Since looking at the work of Frank Gehry, I have ended up using one of his designs – The Dancing House – as an inspiration, as I realised there was potential to produce a lamp out of the design from the glass structure. Once this decision was made, I started to look at what materials would be best suited for the lamp and how the structure would be done. To do this, I started experimenting with different materials and how they could be applied.
Since the structure of The Dancing House is made up of metal rods that are twisted to produce its unique design, my initial method would have been to make a rounded base out of wood or MDF and to drill some small holes around a base and slot the rods into place then twist the rods and braze them onto a metal ring at the top.
I decided to put this idea into practice using some metal rods and a foam base – the rods would pierce partially into the base and I would see how the structure would hold, however, I found that with only about one or tow rods in place, the structure would fall over owing to the frame being tall, I had also thought about drilling some small holes into the side of the base and hold the ends of the metal rods at the bottom with some clips, however this be time consuming to produce and I had little time to make it, the other problem was accessing the light, as the structure was to be in a twisted shape, it could pose a problem for accessibility for changing the light bulb.
I then realised that the best method would be to make a metal ring by making the base – which would be tapered – then using that produce a metal ring by using a metal rod to go round it, I would then make a smaller metal ring for the top and braze the twisted metal rods to both ends, this would mean the bottom ring – which is wider than the top – could slot onto the base and when the light bulb would need replacing, the structure can be removed and slotted back onto the base.
This is the final outcome of the lamp both on and off
For this project, my mark was 50%, so this means I have passed this module. However, I think I could have done better to be honest, I have found that my research didn’t meet the criteria, I am also aware that there was little evidence for the ideation and I think that, I have had more time, I would have been able to have done better for my research and produces more drawings etc. for my ideation. With these weaknesses in mind, I now know where I need to improve on for future modules.